Sunday, October 12, 2014

MapQuest: A Blast From the Past or An App of the Future?

Created using Canva 


Most of us probably remember using MapQuest.  My earliest memory of MapQuest was when I first got the Internet at my childhood home in elementary school.  My family and I were getting ready to leave on vacation when my Dad suggested that I print off some directions.  I waited for my Internet to dial-up, pulled up directions on MapQuest, and printed them out.  After a few years, GPS devices and smartphones were introduced and direction/map websites seemed to fizzle out.

I'll admit that I still use MapQuest directions for my longer road trips.  Recently, I was traveling and my phone conveniently decided to lose service while I was in the the middle of nowhere.  When this happened, I was very thankful that I had my MapQuest directions because my iPhone navigation wasn't working.  This incident led me to wonder: Does MapQuest have an app or is their service only available on the website? After doing a little bit of searching, I discovered that MapQuest not only offers an app for directions, but also offers other types of apps to help those who are traveling.  Here's a look at the different apps MapQuest offers:

1. MapQuest: This app allows users to see maps and get directions to a destination.  When users are looking to get directions, they are able to select options to make the directions fit their needs! For example, if a user does not want to drive on toll roads they are able to select this option and receive a list of directions which avoid toll roads.  The MapQuest app also allows users to see restaurants, hotels, gas stations, and shopping near their destination.

2. Commute: Traveling in a large metropolitan area and worried about traffic? Commute is here to help! This powerful app allows its users to see traffic updates in real time.  Simply enter your home address, what time you are leaving, work address, and what time you are leaving from work.  Commute then notifies you of traffic updates 15 minutes before you leave.  This app even allows you to use MapQuest to take the fastest route to your destination. Commute can also give you an update on the weather in your current location.

3. MapQuest Gas Prices: This app accesses a user's location and displays a list of the best gas prices with the distance from your location.  The list of gas prices can be sorted both by distance and price.  Users have ability to select which type of fuel they wish to use and can also save "favorite" gas stations on the app.

4. MapQuest Travel Blogs: Are you a traveler who is looking to share your adventures with others? MapQuest Travel Blogs is perfect for you! This app allows its users to share photos and information about their trips with other users.  Simply create an account and everything can be uploaded to the app when you are away from your computer.  The app even works offline so users who don't have an Internet connection on their trip don't have to worry! Uploaded blogs can then be shared with friends and family who use the app.  MapQuest Travel Blogs even features a "Featured Blogs" section where users are able to read blogs published by other users of the app.

Although some may think that MapQuest is a site of the past, the company is working hard to come out with new apps to meet the needs of their users.  These four apps can help anyone from avid travelers to those simply trying to commute to work.  I would recommend checking out these apps for help when planning or taking part in your next travel adventure.  These apps by MapQuest are available for iPhone and are worth a try for anyone who is looking for new apps to try out.  

Avoid getting lost on your next road trip with the help of MapQuest!

No comments:

Post a Comment